Saturday, December 31, 2011

TrekLit Year in Review

Well, goodbye to 2011.  It's been a great year for me, and I think a great inaugural year for this blog.  I started it in April as a way to better catalog the Star Trek books I read, and as a way to remember what I liked and disliked about each one.  However, it has become more than that now.  I genuinely look forward to posting reviews and news in and of themselves.  I enjoy sharing my views with other fans, and to the readers of this humble blog, thank you so much for providing me an outlet for sharing my love of Trek books.  Here, in chronological order, are the reviews I wrote from the past year:


April

Inception (Star Trek: The Original Series) by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison

Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager - Relaunch) by Kirsten Beyer


May

Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard #3) by David Mack

Vendetta (Star Trek: The Next Generation) by Peter David


June

Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations) by Christopher L. Bennett

Blind Man's Bluff (Star Trek: New Frontier) by Peter David

Unspoken Truth (Star Trek: The Original Series) by Margaret Wander Bonanno

My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: The Original Series - Rihannsu #1) by Diane Duane


July

Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager - Relaunch) by Kirsten Beyer


October

The Final Reflection (Star Trek: The Original Series - Worlds Apart #1) by John M. Ford

Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard #4) by Dayton Ward

Cast No Shadow (Star Trek: The Original Series) by James Swallow

Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard #5) by David Mack

A Choice of Catastrophes (Star Trek: The Original Series) by Michael Schuster and Steve Mollmann

The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe) by David Mack

The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact - EBook) by Christopher L. Bennett


November

Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard #6 - 4-novella collection) by Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Marco Palmieri, and David Mack

To Brave the Storm (Star Trek: Enterprise - The Romulan War) by Michael A. Martin

What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard #7) by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore

The Children of Kings (Star Trek: The Original Series) by David Stern

The Romulan Way (Star Trek: The Original Series - Rihannsu #2) by Diane Duane and Peter Morwood

The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Original Series - The Lost Years #1) by J.M. Dillard


December

Forged in Fire (Star Trek: The Original Series - Excelsior) by Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels

Rise Like Lions (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe) by David Mack

Swordhunt (Star Trek: The Original Series - Rihannsu #3) by Diane Duane

Honor Blade (Star Trek: The Original Series - Rihannsu #4) by Diane Duane

The Empty Chair (Star Trek: The Original Series - Rihannsu #5) by Diane Duane



April, of course, was the month I first started writing reviews and posting them to this blog.  I did read a large number of Trek novels in the months leading up to April, but I didn't write any reviews for them.  Perhaps someday I can go back and revisit them and share my thoughts.  There was also a large gap after July.  I wasn't sure I was going to continue updating this blog, but after a couple of months I decided I missed the experience of writing about the novels I had read.  I decided to "catch up" by reviewing the books I had read over the summer, and managed to do so within about a month and a half.

November saw a huge spike in readership for this blog, and I can say with certainty that this increase was due to the attention my blog received in the r/startrek community on Reddit.  Thanks everyone for checking it out, and a special thanks to those who continue to visit!

2012 looks to be a good year for Star Trek literature.  Two more entries in the Typhon Pact series are coming, along with the conclusion to the Vanguard series, a continuation of Kirsten Beyer's excellent Voyager relaunch novels, some interesting-sounding Original Series novels, and hints of a TNG trilogy from David Mack, about which little has been revealed.  Keep track of the latest announcements on the 2012 Releases page.

2012 will be a year of change for me.  I'm currently teaching English in South Korea, and my contract will expire at the end of August.  At that time, my plan is to move back to Canada.  Hopefully I will be able to keep up with this blog and share my Trek reading experiences with you.

Here's to the year that was 2011, and to joy and happiness in 2012.  Happy new year!

2 comments:

  1. I'm REALLY looking forward to the Mack trilogy. Are you expecting to read the new Titan novel when it is released?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to the trilogy as well. David Mack has been consistently stellar in his writing!

    I'm planning on reading all of the new Trek releases as they come out this year (except the Starfleet Academy young adult books, but I might change my mind about that). I still have one more Titan book to get caught up on, Synthesis by James Swallow. I've got it downloaded and ready to read on my Kobo, though. I just have to get around to it!

    ReplyDelete